Background and aim
LIGHTer PhD network - Unique networking and graduate student training
LIGHTer is a leading multi-sectorial Lightweight arena providing competence development, research student training and networking - LIGHTer PhD network. The first graduate students were enrolled into LIGHTer PhD network in September 2014.
The development of LIGHTer´s research student training and networking within lightweight technology is an initiative within the Lightweight Innovation Programme´s fifth innovation mechanism competence development and expertise chains´.
The unique LIGHTer PhD network enables networking and graduate student training within lightweight disciplines with a potential impact on future lightweight innovation. A wider perspective to lightweight technologies with insight into different disciplines are created through an increased collaboration between PhD students within different disciplines and universities together with close collaboration between industry and institutes directly involved in the network. The graduate students are introduced early in their PhD studies to the LIGHTer network of university and industry researchers. Industry contacts are established through the entire LIGHTer network which in addition with SRA-researchers provides access to exceptional multidisciplinary competence.
LIGHTer PhD network arrange an annual graduate student conference in connection to other LIGHTer activities, workshop meetings and contribute in technical discussion forums. The LIGHTer PhD network provides with a common PhD-course and development of a coordinated supply of relevant graduate student courses in Sweden.
LIGHTer PhD network is devoted to establish and run the network with the following main objectives:
- Develop a Swedish substantial and long-lasting network of industry and university researchers with strong international contacts
- Education of PhDs with a wider understanding for challenges and applications of lightweight technologies for Swedish industry
- Education of PhDs for a sustainable growth within research and education at Swedish universities and institutes
- Introduce and create possibilities for multi-disciplinary research collaboration which result in co-publications. Possibilities for mobility and cross-border activities are created.
- Achieved by 2016:
- 25 graduate students in the network
- 5 finished PhDs with a lightweight profile
- 30 has finalized the PhD course, LIGHTer Lightweight materials and design
- 5 co-publications between the network graduate students
- 2 national graduate student conferences within lightweight
LIGHTer PhD network is hosted by Luleå University of Technology which is responsible for the development and operation together with Chalmers University and KTH - The Royal Institute of Technology.
LIGHTer PhD network is open to every graduate student with relevant research orientation matriculated at a Swedish university.
LIGHTer PhD network encourage industrial secondments for time periods up to six months. During the industry secondment insight and knowledge regarding industry desires and processes for lightweight technology development and products are obtained.